Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Is Cold-Calling Dead?

In September, I got a voicemail; "Hi, this is Virginia. I just moved to SF from LA with my sister. I worked with CPA firm before. I did write-up, taxes -- personal, corporate, partnership and I also did training. Do you have a part-time job?"

She sounded like in her 50-ish. The specific of her skills was very helpful.

I thought: She sounded wonderful! But over qualified -- for me. She would be under-utilized. Plus I did not have extra work. But, I really appreciated her gut in cold calling!

I called her back, just to welcome her and to praise her for her gut!

She told me a bit more on what she could do and was VERY enthused.

I told her that I did not have the extra work. And she would be under-utilized.

She persisted, "Do you need someone a few hours a day, or a few days a week?"

I was impressed by her enthusiasm and easy-goingness.

After hanging up, I called Walter Louie CPA; my long-term strong allied. Walter owns a small CPA firm. I knew he has been trying to find a replacement for his former office manager who left for her hometown in Colorado for some months. He said she was his "left and right hands."

He said, "Wow! I would like to talk with her!"

I hung up and called Virginia right back.

I said, "Call Walter's office. Tell the person who picks up the phone "Terry said Walter would like to talk with me."

Virginia kept me posted on her contact with Walter. She affirmed my respect for him; "He is a nice guy!"

Later, she got food poisoning and was out for a week.

When she called again, she said "I am working at Walter's office. Today is my day 2. The system is different. I have a learning curve. Walter knew that. I called just to thank you."

It was just slightly more than a month from the day she called to the day she started working at a CPA firm, with a knowledgeable, respectable CPA. A good job and  a good place to be.

So, who says cold-calling is dead?

2 comments:

  1. I did some cold calls this morning -- before 8am! The 2nd person said; "Is this a solicitation? Later, "We are covered. Please remove from your contact list."
    Ouch!
    Cold-calling is not easy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made another 14 cold calls this morning before 830am. Got one solid prospect; an engineer who quickly shared how he is dealing with his bookkeeping and what areas he needs help with. He sounded -- nice! Small job. But would love to help he and his wife out!

    ReplyDelete